Wednesday, July 18, 2012

ReStart

Hello out there to anyone who might still be vaguely interested in reading what I write here. First, I have to say I am sorry that I failed miserably the first time I tried to write this blog. Social media isn't really my thing, as most of you know. I hardly ever use Facebook, I never go on Twitter, I can't follow a blog for more than a day at a time with months and months between reading posts. I just don't find it interesting.

Well, I'm going to have to learn.

Lately I've been reading and researching a lot about self-publishing in the ebook market. It sounds simple enough, if not easy. So, I'm going to give it a try. However, in order to make any kind of success of it, I'm going to have to do some self-promotion and marketing. Bleck!

I'm told to use Facebook and Twitter and a blog to promote the books and stories that I publish. It makes sense, too. Free advertising space. You just have to get people reading about it. And the only way to do that is to "join the conversation" or else you'll basically just be spamming and no on likes that.

So here I am. restarting this blog. Trying to join the conversation.

Now, your next question might be, what am I going to talk about in this blog. The answer: I have no idea. I don't know if I want to put more fiction up, but I might. I'll likely talk about my experience with trying to self-publish and how successful/unsuccessful I am.

I can tell you that my goal is a long distance off. My plan is to start by publishing some short stories that I have had hanging around for a bit to try to build a following of some kind. But the end goal is the big story. Some of you may have heard about the story that I've written and am in the process of editing. It's called Saving Lives and I've been working on it for about 10 years now (give or take). I want to get to the point where I can publish that story (novel, book, whatever you want to call it) and have people want to read it. If that is through epublishing or traditional publishing, I don't really care anymore. I just want to get people reading.

If you're interested in epublishing yourself, check out Smashwords.com. They've got 3 free ebooks available and I've almost finished reading the second one. They are very informative and interesting. There's the Smashwords Style Guide, the Smashwords Book Marketing Guide, and The Secrets to Ebook Publishing Success.

No comments:

Post a Comment